This list consist of top 10 shipping companies in India who are counted among the leading player in Shipping industry. This list is prepared based on revenue, employees strength, turnover in 2018, check it out. In India, as a nation, has always gone through the scarcity of energy. For this reason, it has forever felt the necessity of importing oil from abroad. For meeting the necessity of importing oil, it has some of the finest shipping companies, which help in importing oil from outside. Besides importing oil from other nations, the companies also export commodities to other countries and bring revenues from exports. As shipping is an important activity for the development of the nation, the government of India has made sure that the top ten shipping companies remain the best in terms of productivity and efficiency.
Let’s know about the top 10 shipping companies in India:
1. Shreyas Shipping
As a private shipping company, Shreyas shipping has shown a very good performance in the last years. Let’s know some of the achievements in its record in the past years;
- It has earned revenue of 185 crores of rupees in the last years.
- It renders exclusive services like feeder services, port agency services, logistics services, regional services.
- It has an employee’s strength of around 4000 people.
- It has set up its head-quarters at Kochi and Kutch.
2. Global offshore Services Ltd
As privately-owned company, this great company was founded by Late Padma Bhusan Dr. B.D. Garware. It has made great progress in the past and established a record performance.
- It has earned total revenue of 641 crores of rupees.
- It has engaged itself in the multiple operations like cargo shipment, transfer of personnel, and handling of operations in the anchors.
- It has the employees’ strength of around 4000 people.
- With its head-quarter in Mumbai, it is one of the largest conglomerates in India.
- Website: www.globaloffshore.in
3. Varun Shipping
As private shipping companies in India has always shined in their areas of performance, Varun Shipping ranks with its tallest performance in the field of cargo shipping and handling.
- It has earned total revenue of 1500 crores of rupees.
- It has engaged 20 vessels, 10 LPG carriers, and 3 crude oil tankers, which make its operations
- It has an employees’ strength of 5000 staff.
- With its head-quarter in Mumbai, it is one of the fastest growing companies in India.
- Website: www.varunship.com
4. Gujarat Pipavav
Also known as Pipavav shipyard, this privately owned company is famous for its performance in the field of shipping and consignment shipments.
- The Company has increased its revenue by multi-fold and as of now, it has become 1515 crores of rupees.
- It has engaged itself in multiple areas of shipping like ship building and it also builds merchant vessels, offshore supply vessels, and pressure vessels etc.
- It has the employees’ strength of 5000 employees.
- Based in Mumbai, it is one of the fastest growing companies in India.
- Website: www.pipavav.com
5. Mercator Limited
Founded in 1983, this Company is famous as the second largest shipping company as it ships highest tonnage of materials. Let’s know about the areas of its performance in detail;
- It has earned total revenue of 1835 crores of rupees.
- It has engaged in multiple operations like shipments of coal, dredging, and offshore business.
- It has an employees’ strength of 5000 personnel and it is still expanding its number of strength.
- With its head- quarter in Mumbai, it is one of the fastest growing companies in India.
6. ABG Shipyard
Founded in 1935, ABG Shipyard is one of the leading shipping companies in the world. With its specialization in ship building, and designing, the Company has flourished to a great extent. It’s achievements in the past year are as follows;
- It has created an outstanding amount of revenue of 4322 crores of rupees.
- It has engaged in multiple areas of operations like ship building, repairing, and designing.
- It has an impressive employees’ strength of 5000 employees.
- With its corporate office in Mumbai, it is poised to become the leader in shipping.
- Website: mercator.in
7. Bharati Shipyard
Founded in 1973, Bharati Shipyard is one of the most promising companies in the field of shipping. Let’s consider its strengths to determine its potential;
- It has expanded its operations in the areas like ship building, repairing, and designing.
- It has impressive employees’ strength of 5000 personnel.
- It has set up its office in Mumbai to become a global company in the forth-coming future.
- Website: www.bharatishipyard.com
8. The Great Eastern Shipping Company
Famous as GE shipping, this Company is one of the biggest companies in the world. As the largest private sector company, it has the following potential strengths;
- Its estimated revenue is approximately 8157 crores rupees.
- It has expanded into multiple areas of operations, such as bulk crude oil carriage, and transportation through vessels.
- It has the employees’ strength of 5000 personnel.
- With its headquarter in Mumbai, it is now a world-class organization.
- Website: www.greatship.com
9. Essar Shipping
As the largest ship building company, Essar Shipping is distinguished for its following activities.
- It has created total revenue of 8383 crores of rupees.
- With an impressive employees’ strength of 6000 personnel, it is one of the leading employers in India.
- It has expanded into the area of crude oil carriage and it has more than 26 vessels at its disposal.
- With its head-quarter in Mumbai, Essar shipping is a formidable player in the field shipping.
- Website: www.essar.com
10. The Shipping Corporation of India
As the number one shipping Company in India, Shipping Corporation of India is the number one shipping company in India. As a government owned organization, it was founded in the year 1961. Let’s know about some of the strengths of this distinguished shipping giant.
- The Company has the total revenue of 13,808 crores of rupees.
- It has considerably expanded its operations by engaging 79 vessels.
- Its employees’ strength is more than 3000 and it is an esteemed employer in India.
- With its head-quarter in Mumbai, it is the most formidable shipping organization in India.
- Website: www.shipindia.com